atom feed

Monday, February 4, 2013

Marianist Mission in China 1903-1909

Catholic Mission in China 1899

The buildings of the Catholic mission were built on a piece of ground covering 30 sq. km. and given to the mission by the government in 1899, and completed in 1902.

Like all the catholic missions in South Shantung, the schools were under the supervision of the bishop of the Steyler Mission Society with its headquarters in Yen-Tchou-fou. (Edited from the Google book Guide to Tsingtau and its surroundings by F Behme and M Krieger (Free Google eBook).

Bro. Julius Gallerey (1864 - 1933)

Brother Julius Gallerey, the Director of our first mission in China, A native of Alsace, was born in the city of Selestadt. His parents' early death left him an orphan.

In the fall of 1879 Julius was admitted to the novitiate of the Society Of Mary at Courtefontaine, France. In 1889 he was appointed to assist the master of novices at Ris. For health considerations he was assigned to St. Mary's Institute near the "Pare de Monceau" in Paris.

In 1903, Life was looking dangerous for religious in France. At about the same time the Superior General in Nivelles received a letter from the Vicar Apostolic of Shantung, Msgr. Von Anzer, regarding the proposed foundation of a college at Yen-chu-fu. Preliminary matters having been satisfactorily arranged and agreed upon, The General Administration asked Brother Gallerey to be the director for a mission to China.

A month later, Bro. Gallerey, accompanied by Brothers Eugene Sandrock and Joseph Koehl, boarded the "Prince Heinrich," and after a voyage of six weeks the pioneer community of missionaries arrived at Yen-chu-fu on November 27 1903.

In a letter dated December 1, 1903, Bro. Gallerey reports that the missionaries were studying the Chinese language and preparing for the school that they expected to open at the end of February 1904.

The opening of two new imperial schools by the government took place on April 24, 1904. It was on March 8 that the Brothers were introduced into the first school. There were 23 pupils present. Soon they were working in the second school.

Bro. Gallerey and his team spent six years of devoted and painstaking work at Yen-chu-fu. Due to a change of terms of a treaty between Germany and China The Marianists were no longer able to continue their work and were transferred to Japan, leaving China on July 10, 1909.

Bro. Jules Gallery died in 1933 at Urakami at the age of 69; Bro. Joseph Koehl in 1912 at Freistadt at the age of 73; and Bro. Edward Sandrock in 1958 at Kamakura at the age of 80. (Post Edited From the the Necrology of Bro. Jules Gallerey of the Society of Mary Vol. 6 27pp)

No comments:

Post a Comment